Your vehicle has passed another 120 thousand km. It's time to replace the fuel pump belts and timing belts; work sequence described in this article is suitable for AXL, AJT, ACV, AXG, AHY, AYY, AYC, AUF engines.
The main feature of all motors of different release years is the work sequence with the body parts in the initial stage of disassembly. Hinged equipment special powerful version is of 111 kW (152 hp), but they are rare and differ only in the other (full-size) intercooler, another V-belt system drive, air conditioning radiator, a turbine with variable geometry, and other layout of the intake system (AHY and AXG engines).
Tools for timing belt replacement
For the execution of works, we need aids and special tools, such as:
- 32 Tensioner Roller Bent.
- Crankshaft Pulley Lock.
- Pump Gear Pulley Lock.
- Camshaft Pulley Lock.
- Dial Gauge Holder.
- Base Pad.
- Torque Wrench of 100-200 Nm, 20-60 Nm.
All work will be conducted in the pit, so you need to put the vehicle so that the right wheels are as close as possible to the edge, it will provide ease of operation. Wait until the engine cools down, then start work. Let’s start.
What parts are needed for the job?
The part numbers for the timing belt kits with tensioner will vary from engine to engine:
- 037 198 119 (AAC)
- 028 198 119 A (ABL)
- 074 198 119 M (AET,AEU,APL,AVT)
- 074 198 119 Q (ACV,AUF,AYC)
- 074 198 119 N (AJA)
- 074 198 119 P (AJT,AHY,AYY,AXG)
Toothed belt for internal combustion engine:
- 074 130 113J (AJT,ACV,AYC,AUF,AHY,AXG,AYYY)
- 074 130113 (AJA)
Idler for idler belt:
- 074 109 243 C (AET,AEU,APL,AVT)
- 074 109 243 F (AJA,ACV,AYC,AUF)
- 074 109 243 E (AYYY,AJT,AHY,AXG)
Remove the pump and timing belts
Remove as follows:
- Radiator Grill.
- Insulated Pallet.
- Fuel Flow Meter Connector.
- Washer Jar Extension.
Removal of VW Transporter 2.5 TDI radiator grille
Washer reservoir extension VW Transporter 2.5 TDI
- Intercooler Bolster.
- Air filter lid and cabin filter housing, first remove the clamp from the supply duct.
VW Transporter 2.5 TDI air filter cover
VW Transporter 2.5 TDI Air Filter
Radiator frame mounting bolts
- Unscrew front end carrier bolts on right and left.
- Pull the carrier and radiator towards.
- Rotate the wheels to the right until they stop.
- In the top left of the radiator, find and disconnect the power steering pump hose clamp, the ends of the tube need to be drown with suitable plugs.
- Press the borders out of the carrier, unfix them.
- Take the carrier to the right (do not disconnect coolant system hoses), in order to avoid falling fix with the wire.
- Remove the protective covers of both belts, and cylinder head cover.
VW toothed belt guard
Fastening of the VW toothed belt guard
Cylinder head cover
- Discharge pressure in the coolant system, open and close the surge tank cap. Then, drain the coolant, prepare the container of 8-10 liters.
Expansion tank cap VW Transporter 2.5 TDI
Coolant drain plug on VW Transporter 2.5 TDI
- Loosen M8 bolts on the power steering pump pulley (3 pcs.)
- Take the ribbed belt with both hands on the left and right of the power steering pump and slowly pull the belt by hands, gradually increasing force (belt should be pulled in the direction of the arrow), then remove the belt from the power steering pump and the other pulleys.
- Remove the power steering pump pulley and intermediate V-belt rollers.
- Install the crankshaft to UDC of cylinder 1.
VW Transporter 2.5 TDI multi-ribbed belt
VW Transporter 2.5 TDI crankshaft at TDC
TDC mark VW Transporter 2.5 TDI
Marks of the pump pulley / bracket C and housing flywheel / clutch A (manual transmission) or clutch disc / clutch B (automatic transmission) are to match. If all the marks do not match, you have to turn once the crankshaft clockwise.
- Fix the crankshaft and unscrew the center bolt, remove the crankshaft pulley damper.
Center crankshaft bolt VW Transporter 2.5 TDI
- Unscrew the damper central bolt.
- Loosen vibration damper bolts with a cogged pulley (bolts M8) and unscrew two bolts located opposite.
- Unfix the two remaining bearing bolts in order to detach vibration damper from the lower crankshaft gear by weak tapping by a hammer on the bolt heads.
- Remove the vibration damper.
- Unscrew the camshaft bolt using the counter support (3-5 turns).
Camshaft taper gear
- Using a hammer and punch bring down gear from the camshaft cone through the hole in the T-belt cover.
- Unscrew the two bolts inside from the plastic protection of the timing belt.
- The camshaft gear on the pump belt side is fixed by a special key (3036), bolt is unscrewed by 3-5 turns.
- Unfix the pump belt tensioner roller, remove the pump belt, as well as the gear on the pump belt side.
- Remove the distal roller and check studs sinking in the head housing.
- Unscrew the four bolts fixing the oil filler.
High-pressure fuel pump belt tensioner
Oil filler neck bolts
- Remove the valve cover, pre-need to unscrew the four bolts #13.
- Remove the lower part of the T-belt cover.
- Mark the running direction of the T-belt (Note: only if its replacement is not planned).
- Unload a tension roller of the T-belt, using a spanner wrench 32. For this, first unscrew the bolt 13 and remove the roller.
Lower part of VW Transporter 2.5 TDI timing belt cover
VW Transporter 2.5 TDI timing belt tension pulley
- Remove the timing belt tensioner.
- Unscrew three pump bolts and remove the pump.
- Remove internal plastic protection of the timing belt.
The engine is dismantled, now begin preparatory work.
Let’s start pump belt and T-belt installation
Before you start the installation of belts, pumps and pulleys, start the installation of injection timing. The work is performed in the order described below.
- Unscrew plug 12 from the pump belt, insert dial gauge screw instead of the screw plug.
- Insert the dial gauge in adapter (approximate measuring range is 0-3 mm) with a preload of about 2.0 mm.
Adapter and clock type indicator
Clock type indicator
Spacer 1 and locking bolt 2
- Check the marks match on the pump belt and pulley.
- Loosen bearing bolt (2) on the pump belt.
- Remove the spacer (1)
- Set the indicator at 0.
- To make sure that the plunger pump is at BDC, smoothly turn the pump pulley using a spanner wrench #21 (clockwise). Once the needle of the dial gauge stops its movement, the BDC is reached, set the dial gauge to 0.
- Rotate the pump pulley counterclockwise using the wrench #21, rotate it until the dial gauge needle moves by 0.55 mm.
- Tight the locking bolt 1 on the pump belt with torque of 30 Nm.
- Remove the dial gauge, screw up the plug into the hole.
- Check if the BDC mark on the flywheel matches the original mark.
We choose original replacing kit.
VW Transporter TDC tag
Timing belt replacement kit
Timing and tensioners for Volkswagen Transporter 2.5 TDI
Proceed to install the timing belt and pump
So far everything is disassembled, you can see the state of the camshaft seals and front crankshaft seal.
Condition of the old damper
New camshaft oil seal front side
Front crankshaft oil seal rear side
All metal and plastic parts are washed.
1 — upper timing belt cover; 2 — timing belt; 3 — mounting bolt (80 Nm); 4 — camshaft gear; 5 — rear cog belt guard; 6 — bolt 10 Nm; 7 — water pump; 8 — ring; 9 — bottom cover; 10 — bolt to secure the cover; 11 — tension roller; 12 — timing belt gear; 13 — cover.
- Check if the BDC mark on the flywheel matches the original mark.
- Fix a camshaft using a template (2065 A).
Fixing the camshaft with the template 2065 A
Template 2065 A for fixing the camshaft
Installing the dipstick in the camshaft slot
- Insert a probe into the camshaft slot (it usually equals 0.40mm).
- The pump. Before installation, we recommend to apply a light layer of sealant on a rubber ring, then, put three bolts for the pump centering. Tighten only the right bolt, remove the remaining two bolts.
Coolant pump installation
- T-belt inner cover. Screw the two bolts that secure both the pump and protection. Put the top two bolts on the threadlocker for screwing the head protection.
- Camshaft gear, bearing bolt is put by hand. Check the absence of distortions and free rotation of the pulley.
- Install the tensioner roller (1) so that the tensioner roller tab (2) gets into the catch pin of the belt cover bottom part.
Idler roller 1 and idler tab 2
Locking pin in the bottom of the toothed belt guard
- Put the timing belt starting from the crankshaft.
- Tighten the fixing bolt of the tensioner pulley.
Timing belt tension
Timing belt tension indicator for VW Transporter 2.5 TDI (ACV)
Support 3036 for tightening the camshaft pulley bolt
- Tighten the tensioner pulley bolt with torque of 20 Nm.
- Check if the crankshaft is in the UDC of cylinder 1, if necessary, adjust it.
- Tighten the camshaft pulley bolt using the base (3036); do not forget to take into account the bolt strength: 8.8 = 85Nm, 10.9 = 100Nm.
- Remove the template (2065 A) from the camshaft.
- Install the lower belt cover.
- Install the vibration damper.
- Install the base (T10025) and tighten the center bolt of the damper pulley (crankshaft torque of 160Nm). Complete rotation in two steps, 90 degrees each. We recommend to lubricate the threads and the central bolt head with oil.
- Rotate the crankshaft in two turns in the direction of the engine rotation so as the crankshaft is back to the UDC of cylinder 1.WARNING! Diamond washer, this washer is installed between the damper and the crankshaft gear.
Valve cover Volkswagen Transporter IV
- Re-check the position of the tensioner pulley pointer. If the right edges of the pointers A and B do not match, repeat the tension step.
- Close the outer timing belt cover.
- Install the valve cover.
- Screw oil filler neck.
Pump Belt Installation
- Check if the initial mark matches the UDC on the flywheel.
- Install belt on the injection pump pulley.
- Insert the belt into the pump pulley and fasten the camshaft pulley, later crank the pulley.
- Check the installation position of the guide roller: crank the guide roller so that the pointer coincides with the flange contour of the cylinder head.
- Tighten the nut (2) with torque of 20Nm.
Nut 2 of the guide pulley
Timing belt tensioner 1
- Install the tensioner roller (1) so that the roller tag gets into the beam cave (arrow B). Tighten the bearing bolt.
- For tension of the timing belt, turn the tensioner roller counterclockwise in the position where both pointers are located against each other (arrow A).
- Tighten the bearing bolt with torque of 15Nm.
- Tighten the pump pulley nut with torque of 160 Nm. Use the base 3036. Make sure that fixed pump pulley is not tightened.
- Loosen the pump fixing bolt (2).
- Install the spacer (1) and tighten the bolt to 12 Nm.
Spacer and fixing bolt
Timing belt tensioners
- Rotate the crankshaft in two turns until it snaps in the UDC of cylinder 1.
- Check the position of the marks on the tension roller (arrow A). With the proper position, the pointers will be against each other. A slight shift of the front pointer is acceptable, but the pointer in any case should not go beyond the plate edge, where the pointer is located behind. If the front pointer goes outside the plate edge of the second one, the tension should be repeated.
- Install the pump belt protection.
Install all previously removed parts, charge the coolant, run the engine. After starting, you need to control all connections for leakage, put insulation pallet. Now you can drive.