Error code P0141 indicates that in the oxygen sensor heating circuit has been detected a failure (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0141 error of the oxygen sensor heating after catalyst! During diagnostics, the computer displays the following message: «P0141 Oxygen sensor heater 2 (bank 1) is faulty». This error is very similar to the equivalent one with the code p0135, which indicates the failure of the first lambda heater (before the catalyst).
Distinctive characteristic of the car operation with the p0141 error in memory is only the speed drift during the cold start. And when driving at great speed, the fuel consumption is more than usual.
The CHECK ENGINE lamp on the dash panel lights up when a failure of the B1S2 lambda heater is detected again. The engine controller calculates the resistance of the oxygen sensor depending on the operating temperature. Such resistance may vary depending on the car model and the data of the sensor (for example, it is 10-16 Ohm on Toyota).
Causes of the P0141 error
The place in the socket where the contact with the lambda probe is most often lost
There are not many causes due to which the controller can detect the error code p0141:
- Loss of contact in the power supply shoe of the lambda probe;
- Blown-out coil of the oxygen sensor heater;
- Installation of the sensor of other type.
Therefore, if the goal is to get rid of the annoying light on the dash panel that reminds of the problem with the oxygenator after the catalyst, then the search for the problem should be started by checking the state of the sensor contacts and wiring.
Fault checking and repair
Lambda probe installation site (view from the pit)
Since there are not so many reasons, many drivers do not even try to check the lambda probe and replace it at the slightest suspicion on its failure (especially at the service station), but if you do for yourself, it is better to check and inspect contacts, paying attention to all signs of the lambda probe failure. You’ll need an inspection pit, since the oxygen sensor is located behind the catalyst, and the power connector should be removed from it.
Surely everything will be covered with a greenish oxide. Inspect the wires from the connector, because one of the wires can be broken or short-circuit. After that, measure the resistance of the winding of the lambda heating with the multimeter (read how to check the oxygen sensor in the car repair manual).
If the inspection results have shown the lambda failure, the sensor should be replaced to a new one. There is also a pecularity here, because car owners cannot often find a similar sensor, so they install a universal sensor or a sensor from another car, which may not always be suitable.
If the inspection results have shown that the lambda probe is in working order, first you need to delete the error from the ECU memory and diagnose it again if it appears again, as the cause of the falt code setting can be a number of accompanying codes, even the ECU fault. Therefore, it is necessary to analyze the conditions under which the P0141 error occurs and check other systems and electrical circuits.
- Error code P0420: signs, causes and fixing the catalyst low efficiency
- Code P0087
- Symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor
- P0016 error of mismatch of the signals of the sensors of the crankshaft and camshaft. Causes and elimination
- P0011: error of the camshaft position (synchronization or performance of the system)
- P0172: System Too Rich Error. р0172 System Too Rich Diagnostic Trouble Code
- P0135: breaking of the oxygen sensor heating circuit. Why does the error р0135 O2S1 (Bank 1 Sensor 1) occur?
- P0171: error code “lean mixture”. The reasons and ways of fixing the error р0171
- P0300 - ignition misfire error. Causes, consequences, fixing